Channeling My Grandmother's Style

030411


I've been wanting to write a little something about my grandmother who passed last month. The trouble is, I haven't been able to come up with words that really convey what I want to say.

While I was in Utah for her funeral, I was able to take some things to remember her by. Going through her possessions and looking through the memories of her life was sad, but it also made me sort of happy. My grandmother was a great woman who lived a very full life, abundant with love.

My grandmother was a very classy and artistic woman and I'm happy to be able to carry those very characteristics on by finding new uses for her worldly possessions. I've already featured pieces from her jewelry collection in latest outfit posts, but this is the first time that I've incorporated a piece of her clothing into my outfit. This top came from my grandmother's closet and it made me feel closer to her to wear it, to carry her style on in my own life. I keep hearing my dad's voice in my head say, "She would be so thrilled to know you like her things."

daily outfit 030411

daily outfit 030411


Light peach pussybow top - Vintage, from my grandmother's closet | Black maxi skirt - Forever 21
Brown braided belt - Thrifted | Black ankle socks - Target | Black lace-up booties - Forever 21
Grey purse - Marc by Marc Jacobs | Rings - Forever 21 & Urban Outfitters


My grandmother's fashion sketches (circa 1950)


I'm also very excited to frame some of her old fashion sketches from the 1950's. Soon, I will also be receiving her sewing table and machine along with all of her supplies--including a big box of vintage patterns! It makes me happy to realize how very similar our interests and tastes in style are. I feel honored to be following in her footsteps.

From my grandma's jewelry box


My memories of her will never be forgotten. I love you, grandma!